Saturday, March 31, 2012

It’s Saturday and I’m in love!

To select well among old things, is almost equal to inventing new ones. - Nicholas Charles Trublet

Hello again,
“It’s Saturday and I’m in love!” I’m in love with the fact that the next two days are entirely my own. Outside of a few hours of  music practice today, I’m my own woman!  As I mentioned in my last post, I love to go vintage shopping. I’ll scour anywhere to find something old and unusual. There is nothing better then the thrill of the hunt - for vintage.  I’ve found quite a bit of junk (left it on the shelves) but I’ve also been lucky enough to score some pretty awesome vintage finds.  I’m a huge fan of vintage cook wear, so most of what I’ve purchased are dishes. There have been other amazing items that I’ve added to my little collection that I also adore.
There is the cutest little accessories store in a neighbouring community called Deja Vu. It has the most wonderful trinkets and treasures. The owner, sells both new and vintage items – amazing selection. The first time I went there I felt like a little child entering a fancy dress shop, circa 1930’s. It’s been a love affair ever since. If I feel the need to splurge, I venture to that little store and I always find the perfect thing.

One of my favorite finds is a vintage flower sifter and cake tin. I have reds in my kitchen, so the red floral design on both the cake tin and sifter jumped out at me immediately. I knew I had to have them. They are such a prize sitting on top of my cupboard for all to see. Love it!





I purchased these lovely snack trays at the same store.  When I first saw them, my mind drifted back to my grandmother’s kitchen. I would often go to stay with her in the summers. The snack trays reminded me of  the times I’ve watched her get ready for a dinner party. Or times she'd fix a late night snack for her and I.  Great memories, and this pretty snack set reminds me of her every time I use them.






Linens are another thing I keep an eye out for.  Anything from a tablecloth to a hanky (for my mother). I have been lucky to find some at a local thrift store called The Shop. Just a few weeks ago I found two lovely retro tablecloths there. One has a funky retro pattern; the other has lovely, hand worked, needle point. So pretty for summer.  





The pier de resistance of my vintage career has been finding my Royal typewriter. I was so excited to receive this as a gift. Although it was a gift, I knew about it before hand. My mother and I found it while yard saling together. I was going to buy it, but she insisted on getting it as a Christmas gift. I was so excited! It was originally marked as $80, but it never sold. My mother got it for the low, low price of $25! The discounted price made the typewriter even better. I adore this vintage find!







The sun has returned to the North, so the yard sales will be starting up soon! Hope I have lots of luck this summer in the vintage hunt. I'll return with some more of my fine vintage finds, at a later date. Hope the rest of your weekend is smashing. Thanks for reading!
Melanie


SOTD:

Shape of my Heart  by: Sting

A thought to make you smile:

Hearing your name called with a foreign accent. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment