Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summer space!

Hello Darlings,
Well summer has finally arrived in the great North. We have had a few weeks of wonderful weather and I am enjoying it to the full! Because of the good weather, yard sale season is also in full effect. My mother and I have been enjoying our guilt free shopping excursions each weekend! Spending so little on a frivolous item leaves no buyer’s remorse. So, I guess by now you have already guessed that this week’s post is about my yard sale finds. It’s not going to be just any yard sale finds, but ones I’ve specifically purchased to use on my balcony this summer. I was so happy with the results that I decided to blog about it. If you plan early and have the patients to weed through a lot of crap, you too can have a great summer space for little or nothing!

Now that the warm weather is here, there are several things that I love about it. Getting to use my little balcony is one of them. The small space has some great attributes. First, the cost, it is such a lovely area that was very cheap to create. Secondly, I love the fact that it is MY space. I choose pieces that I enjoy, I love how they complement each other. Not some prepackaged kit that others have put together. Thirdly, most items used on the patio are recycled or reused. Every little bit to save the earth! Finally, I love that my little 5x8' space is a great place to have an afternoon chat or a glass of wine in the evening. 


Patio Deets:
The conversation set is my favorite part of the patio. I found it on a local buy and sell site, last fall, and stored it till this summer. The seller was asking $25 for the set, and it was only a year old. I priced these sets at other stores and they usually run around $200, DEAL!!! I was so excited to get this set. I bought some new cushions to spruce it up and make it my own.

 
 





The round table was given to me while I lived in my last apartment. Since I've moved into my new place and gotten a new table, the old one found a home on the patio. The two chairs came from a set of six that I found at a yard sale for $20. Three years ago, I covered the chairs in the pink material to match the colour scheme of my last kitchen. I reupholstered the chairs to match my patio decor with, you guessed it, material I found at a yard sale. I’m pleased with the results.








 The lovely flowers were a gift from some church ladies. They are an awesome addition to the space. There is nothing better than fresh flowers.


                                         


The hanging candelabra was another purchase from the buy and sell site. I paid $15 for the candelabra and bought some new candles for $14. Hanging it over the table and chairs gives it a bistro feel, I love that too.


                             


I got this planter at another yard sale for $10. I’m very into the iron work! I think it is a beautiful and functional piece. I planted a few herbs in it yesterday. Looking forward to using the fresh herbs in some future cooking.


                                      


Even the green bowl and pears were yard sale finds!  I am a firm believer that you can have a great looking space using little money and turning someone else’s discards into your treasures!!!


                                 


So, here's to you, and a summer spent on your patio, enjoying old memories and making new ones.
Melanie.


“ The sparrow that is twittering on the edge of my balcony is calling up to me this moment a world of memories that reach over half my lifetime, and a world of hope that stretches farther than any flight of sparrows.”
-Donald G. Mitchell

SOTD:
Because the Night by: The Patti Smith Group.


Thought to make you smile:
A gift of fresh flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment