Tuesday, July 3, 2012

An Upcycled Beauty!


Hello friends,
Welcome back, hope you're having a great summer! My vaca started as of last Friday. I am enjoying the long lazy days with the help of a few good books and a cold drink! My long time friend, Yvonne, arrived from Newfoundland on Sunday. She'll be staying for a few weeks. I'm looking forward to the adventures we will have together. I'm sure there will be a blog post or two to keep you informed hehehe! Long live summer!!!!

This post is about one of my latest DIY projects, an upcycled jewelry box. I found this lovely piece at a yard sale (I’m an admitted yard sale- aholic) for the low low cost of five dollars. I passed on the piece at first because the color did not match that of my bed room. Later I reconsidered, and thought this would be an excellent DIY project for my next blog post. Also, my jewelry collection has grown and needed a new home.

Melanie

DIY Deets:
The supplies I used for this project were a can of spray paint; the color is “Bahama Sky”, sand paper, and a piece of cardstock.


I started out with removing the glass and photo portion of the piece. Then gave it a light sanding and cleaned the box.








Next I started to spray paint it with several coats until there was no trace of the cherry wood left.





After I achieved the color I wanted, I found a matching piece of cardstock and inserted that into the photo sections, rather than use photos. I chose a fun piece of paper with peacock feathers on it. The blues in the paper worked perfect with the blues and browns in my room.

I added these baskets to hold my smaller jewelry like rings and earrings. They fit perfectly; I was worried they would be too big.








The total project cost me around twenty dollars, five for the jewelry box, six for supplies, and nine for the baskets. Add to that a little elbow grease and you got yourself a great upcycled jewelry box for little cost. I’m pleased with how it turned out and so is my jewelry! Thanks again for reading!
SOTD (Song of the day):
What the water gave me   by:  Florence + The Machine
A Thought To Make You Smile:
The consuming smell, sounds, taste, and feel of the ocean’s waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment