Monday, May 7, 2012

Gallery Wall!!!

Hello again,
   Hope you’ve all had a great weekend! I did, had a BBQ with friends, did some yard sailing, and got a chance to watch The Avengers.  The movie was action packed , had lots of eye candy, and a couple of good laughs . I have to say it was a fantastic movie! It was also a pretty fantastic weekend!


   I also got the chance to finish off my Gallery wall this weekend. It’s kind of been a work in progress. Actually, it’s been a long progress (hahaha) but it is now completed. I have to say I LOVE it, it turned out wonderful! I’ll just fill you in on the process, in case you are thinking of doing one for yourself!


   My first step was to get as many frames as I could. To maintain cohesion, I made the decision to look only for frames that were red, dark wood, or a frame that could be stained or spray painted. I found all but two at yard sales and flea markets. The large round one, I bought at a local store. I loved it as soon as I saw it, and knew it would be the focal point for the wall. The long rectangle shaped one, I had for a few years, and just swapped out the photos to fit the theme of my wall … FAMILY


   Second step, after I had gathered the frames, was to research different gallery walls and find which combination I liked best. I found a couple of layouts that I liked and used them for guide lines. However, the layout I choose was a result of me playing around with the frames until I found how they best worked together. Laying them out on your bed is a great place to do that.




   I then traced each frame onto large sheets of paper, cut them out, and adhered them to the wall with tape. The paper cutouts allow you to move them around and find the right layout/measurements without damaging your walls with extra holes. If you are planing on doing a gallery wall, this is one of the best tips and worth the extra effort.





   I placed a measuring line a little further down then the center of the wall. I wanted to work upward with the arrangment of the frames. After I had arranged the frames how I wanted them, I nailed the nails in place. Now, there was a clean, easy grid to hang the frames from.




   I had to stain and spray paint a few of the frames to match the color scheme. Then all that remained was choosing the photos. It's really up to you which photos/theme you choose.I love candid photos, so they were the majority of the photos chosen. There was one professional session with the family, I arranged those into one multi photo frame.





 I finished off the gallery wall with a decorative tree and I'm going to add a wall quote about family when I get a chance to buy one. I am extremely pleased with the gallery wall, and wish you the best of luck with yours (should you try one).




Hope you all have a great week!
Melanie


SOTD:
Curse of the Currents by: Said the Whale.


A Thought to Make You Smile:
The smell of smoke on your clothes after a camp fire.
(well, that makes me smile anyway!)

1 comment:

  1. love gallery walls! I definitely want to try one when I get an apartment I intend to keep. I like the idea of mis-matched frames, too.
    <3

    ReplyDelete