Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hand Painted Oxfords/Saddles!


Hello y'all,

Well this week’s project was a fun one, one I’ve wanted to do for a long time now. I’m painting canvas shoes!!! I have always loved Oxford/Saddle style shoes. When shoe shopping, they always seem to catch my eye. One day while browsing the Net I found a great pair that had been hand painted. I thought they were the cutest things and said to myself “self, you can do this!” So, I ran to Wal-Mart ,a while ago, and picked up a cheap pair of white canvas shoes. Next , I dug out some of my oil paints. I spent some time, one afternoon, doing the base coat for the shoes. When the base had dried, I applied a design to the shoes. I was very happy with the end result. I’m definitely going to try this again, go a little bit funkier, and not play it so safe next time. Although, having a shoe that can match just about everything, is a good thing too!







“A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner.”
-Thomas Carlyle


Here is the process broken down: First remove the laces and tags from the shoes.


Second, choose the color you want for the base. I chose black paint for the white shoes, I wanted a strong contrast. I also used oil paint, because I felt it would hold up to the elements. Be aware if you use oil paint, it will take longer to dry. If you want them for a particular event paint them well in advance.







Thirdly, after the black paint had dried. I added white hearts. I had originally thought to paint dots but changed my mind last minute.To create the hearts, paint two dots side by side and connect them with a point at the bottom.






The shoes turned out so cute. There were a few careless smudges during the process, but the mistakes make it more ... ME. Looking forward to painting the next pair of shoes and finding the right outfit to wear with these!!!
Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed the weekend!
Melanie.



SOTD:
I don't want you to come round here by: Rod Stewart
A thought to make you smile:
A long call from an old friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment