Tuesday, May 1, 2012

An Ocean View!


Hello all,

   Well it’s been a busy, but fun, week. I had work, and working out as per the norm. On top of that, there was an all-day session with Nathan Ory about FASD and Autism. The speaker was very informative, but there was a hell of a lot of info packed into eight hours. I volunteered at a ladies spa night at my church. We had a blast, I never relaxed much, but it was a fun time. My team was also on for worship Sunday morning, which means early morning practice. This past week has been a little crazy.

   In past blog posts I’ve talked about a couple of projects that I’m currently working on. Now, I’d like to show you one of my finished projects. Recently, I decorated my parents’ bedroom. They moved from Newfoundland to Alberta and relocated from their home to an apartment. They did not bring much with them, in the way of furniture, so a lot of their furniture, here, are odds and ends from yard sales and flea markets. However, I was determined to give them a room that was lovely, peaceful, and reminded them of home. So, I decided on an ocean theme. We spent about a month gathering all the pieces for the room and when I felt I had everything I needed; I secluded myself in their room and went to work…



   Step one consisted of striping down all the old furniture, giving it a light sanding, and new life with a gorgeous, dark teal, coat of paint. I unified the mish mashed furniture with the same paint color. I also cut pieces of textured wallpaper to fit the front of each drawer.  The color and textured drawers brought the pieces together.

Here is the before …






Here is the after…






I made this cheap wall art by using a canvas and some of the left over wallpaper. I painted the canvas the same dark teal color and lightly covered the wallpaper with that color. I cut the wallpaper so it was smaller than the canvas, used some adhesive on the back and stuck it to the canvas. Fast, cheap, and easy, but I loved the end result.



The bedding was a great find at Winners (one of my favorite stores). I wanted to go with a neutral color for the bedding, to be a contrast to the strong color of the furniture. We also picked up some of the nautical accessories there. I love that you can always find surprise items at Winners, and at great prices.





We also hit up a store called JYSK for some of the pillows, blankets, and drapery. JYSK is another store with some great décor finds.







It was a long weekend, but the room was completed in time for the big reveal on Sunday night, when my mother got home from work. My parents entered into a lovely, candle lit room. We were all happy with the end result. I have to be honest, I’m a little jealous; I just may need a room update soon.
Melanie.



SOTD:

Wrecking Ball by: Amelia Curran

A Thought to Make You Smile:

In line about to pay for your movie ticket, but the person in front of you has already paid. (thanks Wanita)

No comments:

Post a Comment